The Residency Program is currently on hiatus during the COVID-19 situation. Please check back in late summer for updates.
Set dedicated training times and reserved training spaces to ensure you get the training you need. This program is available for one to five days per week, scheduled on a month-to-month basis.
The residency option includes:
- Your choice of one to five days per week of assigned, reserved training space.
- One half hour liaison meeting per month with the program director, Elsie Smith, for use in any way you wish. Get help with act creation, scheduling and planning, professional development, costume questions, injury prevention, web site review, etc.
- Priority information every month about guest instructors, workshop series, and other events at NECCA.
- Unlimited access to Members Only and Open Studio training times at all NECCA studios (generally 7 days per week).
To ensure that students are making progress and getting what they need, residency students are required to take at least one private lesson or session class per month in addition to enrolling in residency.
Including reserved training times as well as Members Only and Open Studio training:
- $120/month (1 day/week reserved)
- $150/month (2 days/week reserved)
- $175/month (3 days/week reserved)
- $200/month (4 days/week reserved)
- $225/month (5 days/week reserved)
Reserved residency training times generally include Mondays through Thursdays, from 1 – 3 pm in Winston-Prouty Gymnasium (Sept – May) and 3 – 5 pm at the Trapezium (June – August).
Please review the information below to reserve training time at NECCA.
We are happy to be able to provide a disinfected and socially-distanced place to train during this time. Previously we offered open training times we called “Members Only.” Now, because participants must have an assigned space and an appointment, we are calling this training option “Reserved Training.” To be eligible for Reserved Training, you must be pre approved and start with an orientation and pre-pay for your training time. There is a health officer on site at all times for emergencies, but there is no coaching help available during the Reserved Training times. This is recommended for intermediate to advanced students and artists who do not require guidance or someone to oversee their training.
Any reserved training participants must follow all of NECCA’s COVID-19 safety policies in addition to our regular studio safety policies. This requires, among other things: each participant to have a scheduled appointment, provide their own equipment (or have NECCA equipment assigned to them), be willing and able to train while wearing a face mask, and be socially distancing in their lives outside of NECCA.
You must also either live in Vermont or one of the approved counties. Click here for a list of those counties.
A full list of required COVID-19 Safety policies are available here.
Cost for the initial reserved training orientation is $20. You only need to do this once, then you are approved to sign up for reserved training times at $20 per 2-hour session.
This calendar is updated weekly and is subject to change at any time.
“Members Only” is the name we give our our general open training times. This time is open to intermediate/advanced students and professionals who have been given an orientation and permission. There is no coach facilitator for Members Only times and participants are expected to be able to train on their own safely. Note: Elite-level visiting performers, coaches, and guests may inquire about additional training times and options.
To be considered for Members Only training please contact Elsie at email@example.com with the following information:
- Your circus arts experience and what activities you wish to train during Members Only times.
- What classes you are currently taking at NECCA, and/or video of your current training.
- What area of orientation you are seeking: floor skills, aerials, trampoline, tight wire and/or german wheel. Note that there are different requirements for each level, which will be reviewed when your orientation is arranged.
- If you are a guest looking for short term training please include the dates of your proposed visit.
If you are approved for Members Only training you will do a comprehensive orientation of the training space with Elsie. The cost for this orientation is $20. Cost for Members Only training is $10/day or $70/month.
For a snapshot of the Members Only training options please review the calendar below.
Open Studio is available for any student age 16 or over enrolled in a session class or regular private lessons, regardless of their level. There is no coaching or instruction during open studio, but there is a coach available to facilitate, answer questions, help with rigging and equipment, etc. Students are expected to work on the material they are learning in classes and lessons and can execute safely.
- Location: 10 Town Crier Dr, Brattleboro VT
- Open to anyone in adult classes or youth troupe, by permission.
- Youth Troupe students and anyone under 16 can attend with permission.
- Free as a make up for a missed class. Up to 2 permitted per session. Cannot roll over make ups from one session to the next. Click here for more on our Make up Policies.
- Free to Members Only, Residency & Performance Program students.
- There is no rigging allowed in Open Studio except on our aerial pulley point systems.
- NOTE: There will not be Open Studio on Sun Oct 28, Sun Nov 18, Sun Dec 23 & Sun Dec 30.
- Thursdays 7:30pm-8:55pm
- Sundays (not running in Summer) 10:00am-12:00pm
There will be no open studios on these days: Nov. 9th and 30th, Dec. 21st and 28th, and Jan. 4th.
- $10/daily pass
- $70/monthly pass